Monday 5 March 2012

The Job search test


Personal and Professional Development
1. I read relevant newspapers and magazines regularly to stay abreast of key issues in business and my field of interest.
2. I have the appropriate education for the kind of job I am interested in getting.
3. I have the appropriate experience for the kind of job I am interested in getting.
4. I attend seminars, events and workshops that will add to my knowledge and expertise.
5. I belong to at least one professional group.



Preparation
6. I have identified my key skills and abilities, as well as my strengths and weaknesses.
7. I know how to dress professionally.
8. I know my key strengths which differentiate me from other job applicants.
9. I know exactly the kind of job I want .
10. I know exactly how to properly research companies and industries - and I do.


Networking
11. I keep in contact with colleagues, lecturers and people in my field.
12. I keep in contact with people I have worked with in the past.
13. I attend professional/industry seminars and make contacts with leaders in my field.
14. I introduce myself to others at social and business functions.


Covering Letter
15. I can quickly and in a few words communicate my value.
16. I address all my cover letters to named individuals.
17. I never leave the ball in the potential employer's court; I always take a proactive approach.
18. I tell what I can do for the company rather than what the company can do for me.
19. I have eliminated all errors from my cover letters.


CV
20. I have identified two or three key accomplishments I have had.
21. I have eliminated all errors from CV.
22. I have tailored my CV for each application.

Total your "yes" answers. If your yes answers total:
20-22: You're in great shape - you are ready for a successful job-search.
17-19: You need some fine-tuning
14-16: You need more preparation
under 14: There are a lot of positives – but a lot of room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment